|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
Cleveland Interurban Railroad 1201
1914 G. C. Kuhlman Car Co.
by William E. Wood, September 2001
In 1914, the Cleveland Railway Company, with large crowds to handle, placed an order for center door cars (numbers 1100 - 1300) with the great Kuhlman Car Company of Cleveland, Ohio. Of the 1915 build, our car was originally numbered #1299 and these large cars could seat 59 passengers. The body was extremely long and fairly wide companred to other conventional streetcars, measuring in at 51' long and 8' 4 3/4" wide.
Oris P. and Mantis VanSweringen, railroad barons of their time, had purchased land east of Cleveland in 1905 and planned out a suburban retreat from the industrial city of Cleveland. This community was incorporated in 1912 as Shaker Heights. Needing a means to bring the public to their grand housing development, construction started on the Cleveland Interurban Railroad, which opened for business in 1913. Most of the railroad was in operation by 1920. In 1921, Cleveland Railway cars 1200-1235 were leased to the Cleveland Interurban Railroad, which altered the cars to enable them to operate as multiple-unit trains. At this time, #1299 was renumbered to 1201.
Cleveland Interurban trains originally operated to the "Shaker Square" via the Cleveland Railway's urban street routes. On July 20, 1930, after the VanSweringen brothers purchased the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (The Nickel Plate Road) to get a direct rail line into the city, the street connection was replaced with a dedicated right-of-way into the grand Cleveland Union Terminal. The Great Depression saw the 1200-series cars laid up part of the time in favor of one-man cars also in service at the time, but the boom in patronage during WWII saw all returned to service. To protect its transportation sercices, the City of Shaker Heights purchased the financially struggling system in 1944. Modernization arrived to the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit in 1947 when the first PCC cars were delivered, with more in 1953 and 1959. By 1960 the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit had withdrawn all the 1200-series cars, which were now numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. William E. Wood bought #1201 and shipped her to the museum in 1960.
| Controls: 1 - Westinghouse 15E1
Motors: 4 - Westinghouse W34D
Brakes: Multi-Unit Safety Air
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.