|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
Boston Elevated Railway 3100
1944 Pullman-Standard Car Co.
by William E. Wood, March 2001
With the continued need to replace worn out streetcars, many of which were two-man cars, the Boston Elevated Railway started to place orders in Worcester, Mass. for more new PCC cars, all similar to the original order that Boston Elevated Railway 3003 came from except that they were to be equipped for multiple-unit operation. Car numbers 3022 to 3053 and 3054 to 3071 were ordered in May 1942 with delivery January through March and August through October, 1944. More cars were ordered including numbers 3097 to 3129 in May, 1942 with delivery in March through April, 1944. Car 3100 was part of this last order and would become known as one of the "wartime" fleet. While wartime shortages would lead to non-stainless steel fittings and many with all steel roofs, otherwise this group of cars were similar to older orders except the Clarke B-2 truck had GE1198 motors.
The entire PCC fleet, starting in 1961 had their resilient wheels replaced due to operation on the Riverside Line, which caused the hub plates to come loose. The service of #3100 would cover all operating surface lines until the coming of the Boeing Vertol light rail vehicles (LRV), and even then would carry on through the period of terrible problems of that the Boeing Vertol cars experienced. At last they were replaced, and in 1986 the MBTA sold off a number of PCC cars and #3100 was acquired by the Trolley Museum.
| Controls: Westinghouse XD
Motors: 4 - General Electric 1198F3
Brakes: Air, Electric, Dynamic
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.