|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
1951 Pullman-Standard Car Co.
by William E. Wood, May 2001
Fifty cars were ordered in July 1950 by the Metropolitan Transit Authority in Boston, Mass., numbered 3272 to 3321, from Pullman-Standard Car Co. of Worcester, Mass. The delivery took place April through June 1951. They would be the last new PCC streetcars Boston would buy and the last PCC order built by the Pullman-Standard Car Co.
The cars would be non-standard, as all PCC streetcars in Boston were (except 3001) had a left hand middle door and these were built with picture windows plus standee windows (only others with these were Boston cars 3197-3221). With sealed windows, this group of cars came from the factory with forced air ventilation.
While 3272 -3321 are classified all-electric cars, the final braking is done by an air-operated spring-released drum brake on motor shaft, a variation from standard all-electric PCC streetcars. For 1959, all cars of this class equipped with roof searchlights and whistles.
These cars would operate on all lines of the MBTA, but after 1959 were on the Riverside Line most of the time. In 1961 the class lost their resilient wheels due to hub plates coming loose on the Riverside Line. Working on through the problems of the Boeing-Vertol Light Rail Vehicle introduction, they would be replaced by Boston 'Type 7' light rail cars and 3306 and 3309 would come to the trolley museum in 1992.
| Controls: MCM
Motors: 4 - General Electric 1243A1
Brakes: Air, Electric, Dynamic
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.