1926 LaFrance

The 1926 American LaFrance type 75 pumper and hose car was the second piece of equipment for what became the Connecticut Fire Museum.

 

The photo above was taken outside of the original location of the fire museum on Scantic Road in East Windsor. The museum was located there in a former horse barn built in the 1920's. The museum was located there from 1968 until it moved to its present building at the CTM in 1974.

 

 These two pictures show the CTM's 1926 American LaFrance pumper that served Hartsdale New York. The above photo shows the Hartsdale fire station taken in 1930 with the truck on the right. The below photo was taken in 2004 when the truck went to their 100th anniversity event

 

 

 

A pumping excursion for the '26er...

 

 

This latest photo was taken by John Papp at the Museum in 2014. This beauty awaits your visit...

 

 

The 1926 American LaFrance type 75 pumper and hose car was the second piece of equipment for what became the Connecticut Fire Museum. The truck was built for the Hartsdale Fire District, located in the town of Greenburg, NY (near White Plains). It served as a first line piece until about 1942 when a new 1942 American LaFrance 500 series pumper was purchased from American LaFrance. About 1955 it was retired and purchased by a junk dealer Charles Hawkins of Willimantic, CT.; he then sold the truck to Dudley Cooke of Rocky Hill, CT. In 1965 Charlie Hawkins purchased the truck back from Dudley Cooke and was in the process of driving it to Willimantic to be scrapped for the 1000 lb. bronze pump in the truck. On the way to Willimantic Charlie stopped at the "Shady Glen" ice cream shop in Manchester CT. While sitting at the counter the owner of the shop, John Reig, asked Charlie what he was doing with a fire truck. After some conversation Reig purchased the truck to promote his business. In 1968 John Reig sold the truck to the fire museum group. At the age of 89 years this truck can still pump and drive like it did when in service. Over the years very little mechanical work has been required to keep the vehicle running. In 1990 the truck was repainted by the fire museum staff and other than replacing a worn fly wheel, it has all its original equipment.

 

Story and photos courtesy of Bert Johanson   

 

 

 

Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.